Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Spicy Red Curry Coconut Chicken Soup



Why is this a Foodgasm?

This is my own version of Tom Kha Gai, a Thai soup. I love Thai food, so I made my own spicy coconut curry soup! This is sour, sweet and spicy all in one! You got the creamy from the coconut, the spicy from the curry and a little sour in the end with the juice of 1 lime! This is redicu-licious!

The reason I made this- my husband had a cold. So I thought chicken soup, but why not this spicy Thai chicken soup?! This cleared out his sinuses! It was as if his nose were a faucet. The next day he felt sooo good he decided to insulate the basement! A win-win!


What you need

1 tablespoon EVOO
1 short stalk lemongrass
4 tablespoons red curry paste (I used my homemade red curry paste)
3 dried red chilies (don't add at all if you are not into spicy)
4 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, shredded
2 chicken breasts, cubed
2 cups shredded carrots
1/2 red onion, diced
1 zucchini, sliced and cut into strips
1/2 leek, sliced
32 oz. fat free, low sodium chicken broth
32 oz. coconut milk
5 baby potatoes, sliced
juice of 1 lime
salt and pepper to taste



How to Make it

1- In a large pot pour in your EVOO
2- Place the onions, lemongrass, dried chilies and ginger into the pot, cook on medium until fragrant.
3- Add in the red curry, garlic and tomato paste. Stir well.
4- Pour in your coconut milk and chicken broth. Put stove on medium-high.
5- Throw in all the vegetable and the chicken, let soup come to a boil.
6- Simmer on medium for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
7- Once done take off the heat, let it cool for a couple minutes and add the juice of one lime. You may add more if desired.


Nutritional Information