Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Spicy Red Curry Coconut Chicken Soup



Why is this a Foodgasm?

This is my own version of Tom Kha Gai, a Thai soup. I love Thai food, so I made my own spicy coconut curry soup! This is sour, sweet and spicy all in one! You got the creamy from the coconut, the spicy from the curry and a little sour in the end with the juice of 1 lime! This is redicu-licious!

The reason I made this- my husband had a cold. So I thought chicken soup, but why not this spicy Thai chicken soup?! This cleared out his sinuses! It was as if his nose were a faucet. The next day he felt sooo good he decided to insulate the basement! A win-win!


What you need

1 tablespoon EVOO
1 short stalk lemongrass
4 tablespoons red curry paste (I used my homemade red curry paste)
3 dried red chilies (don't add at all if you are not into spicy)
4 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, shredded
2 chicken breasts, cubed
2 cups shredded carrots
1/2 red onion, diced
1 zucchini, sliced and cut into strips
1/2 leek, sliced
32 oz. fat free, low sodium chicken broth
32 oz. coconut milk
5 baby potatoes, sliced
juice of 1 lime
salt and pepper to taste



How to Make it

1- In a large pot pour in your EVOO
2- Place the onions, lemongrass, dried chilies and ginger into the pot, cook on medium until fragrant.
3- Add in the red curry, garlic and tomato paste. Stir well.
4- Pour in your coconut milk and chicken broth. Put stove on medium-high.
5- Throw in all the vegetable and the chicken, let soup come to a boil.
6- Simmer on medium for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
7- Once done take off the heat, let it cool for a couple minutes and add the juice of one lime. You may add more if desired.


Nutritional Information


2 comments:

  1. Oh yum, your soup sounds so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm... this looks SO yummy! I've been trying to cram all my favorite soup recipes lately before it warms up outside and its time for summer food! Sounds delish :)

    ReplyDelete