Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Sweet and Spicy Pineapple Mango Chili



Why is this a Foodgasm?

This features one of my favorite flavor combos EVER, Sweet and Spicy! Sugar and Spice and something nice! It is like ohhhhh yummmmm.....ohhhh WOW! You get the sweet and then BAM I hit ya when you didn't expect you with the spice hammer! This baby is pretty darn spicy too! I would let this slow cook to mellow out the spice or add less dried red chilis than I did, LOL!

I got the idea while talking to my friend about chili. Mike makes a mean chili: sweet and spicy. But the man will not give up the ingredients...he keeps his recipes secrets. Me, well I got this blog and give 'em all away for free! So while talking to him I thought sweet and spicy and remembered the pineapple salsa made my Newman's Own I like so much and then it hit me....WHAMMO! Pineapple Chili- and why not add Mango because I love thee!










What you need

2 hot Italian Sauages
6 oz. skirt steak
2 slices of bacon
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium vidalia onion, diced
1/2 medium red onion, diced
5 cloves garlic
7 dried red chilis (This is pretty damn spicy, if you want it less spicy add maybe 4 at most)
3 cups fresh pineapple, diced
1 mango, cut and diced
2 cans diced fire roasted tomatoes
1 can red kidney beans
2 teaspoons red curry paste
2 teaspoons dark chili powder
4 teaspoons brown sugar
1/2 cup orange/mango juice


How to make it

1- In a Dutch oven pot on medium high heat pour in the olive oil.










2- Brown the meats on both sides (though I microwaved the bacon the cut out some fat).
3- Put the meat into a food processor and grind it up. This crumbles the sausage and shreds the beef, with the added bonus of mixing them all together!












*Note: I am seriously obsessed with my food processor! I have had it since I got married over 5 years ago and have used it countless times!
4- Throw in your diced onions and caramelize them in meat drippings....ohhhh yeah baby! (Like I said I made the bacon separate so I cut down on the cholesterol.)











5- Once those are a nice caramel color add in your garlic. Let that cook a bit
6- With your trusty food processor (again!) grind up your dried red chilies and set them aside.
7- Back to the dutch oven add in your mango, pineapple and ground meat. Let them get acquainted with the current residents of the pot. Stir and cook for a couple minutes.












8- Add in your cans of fire roasted tomatoes and lower the heat to medium.
9- In your food processor (Yes AGAIN!)  grind up your black beans. (Note: this is optional, but I preferred my chili without the mush of the beans.)
10- Stir everything together and add the last of your ingredients (red curry paste, dark chili powder, brown sugar and orange/ mango juice.
11- Let simmer with pot covered about 20 minutes.







 Nutritional Information




3 comments:

  1. I am LOVING this recipe! Pineapple and Mango! Fantastic idea!! The chili looks so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks soooooo much! I am really proud of this creation it was sooooo good! I used some fatty ingredients, but all the fruit and veggies kind of makes up for it! It is REALLY filling and the nutritionals are better than I expected!

      Delete
  2. Hello! I recently just started a youtube Korean food channel, EasyKoreanFood, where you can learn how to make fast and easy Korean food! It would mean the world to me if you took the time to check it out because I'm just starting out! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete