Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Spinach and Feta Strata


I cannot get enough of the spinach and feta combo. I made Spinach and Feta Orzo, I made a Spinach and Feta Salad and now I got for you a Spinach and feta Strata. It is part quiche, part potato and part fritata. In fact, I had a really had time naming this, LOL. But a food bloggers friend of mine came up with something sorta like this and called it a strata, so thanks Joanne from Joanne Eats Well with Others. You saved me on this one!

Why is this a Foodgasm?

Spinach and Feta, it is magical and delicious and totally Greek. I like to give a nod to my hetitage when I can and they knew what they were doing with this flavor combo. Salty, creamy and you got a little bitter from the spinach, it just works. Then of course I add in some caramelized onions, garlic and you got yourself a full blown Greek-gasm. I love that this has a layer of potatoes too. It's a great filling meal, especially nice with a side salad for breakfast, brunch, lunch or even dinner.




What you need


1 bag fresh spinach, rinsed
1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 medium onion, sliced
1 teaspoon crushed garlic (I used the jarred stuff, I have no time for garlic chopping)
3 oz. feta cheese (Athenos is my fave)
2 eggs
2 egg whites
1/3 cup nonfat Greek Yogurt
1/4 cup lowfat milk
salt and pepper to taste
2 potatoes, sliced and crisped in the oven
(415 degrees with Olive Oil salt and pepper,
cook about 20 minutes, flipping at 10 minutes)



How to make it

Preheat oven to 350ยบ
1- In a large frying pan add olive oil, let it heat up on medium heat.
2- Add onion and let them cook until translucent.
3- Add garlic, stir well. Then slowly add the spinach. I looks like a lot, but it will cook down.
4- Cook until spinach had cooked down considerably, but is still lighter green in color.
5-In a bowl, whisk together, milk, Greek yogurt, eggs and whites. Add in a bit of salt and pepper as well as the feta cheese.
6- In a 9" round cassarole dish, brush the inside with some Olive Oil so potatoes will not stick.
7- Place a layer of potatoes on the bottom of the pan, then add your cooked veggies and add your egg mixture on top.
8- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until eggs are set.

Nutritional Information

Makes 4 large servings.



No comments:

Post a Comment