Sunday, May 17, 2015

Alice in Wonderland Craft Beer Dinner @ Morisson's

Craft Beer Dinners have become very popular, but there are some that are so damn creative, they MUST be experienced! Alice in Wonderland theme- YES!


I was not late for this very important date! But I am pretty late posting about it!

So the story is it's 4/20 and my friend Shelby and I are talking (well really texting, no one talks anymore). She's planning this Alice and Wonderland theme dinner at her restaurant Morisson's. She says you should totally come down, Josh the chef says so... 

Well how can I say no? It's 4/20, its Alice and Wonderland and ummm beer!  Not just any beer- some local love for the guys at Port Jeff Brewing!


This was the perfect time for me to finally get down to one of her dinners. She always throws amazing theme beer dinners. If the beer and food are not treat enough, you also get to meet the chef and the brewers!

Upon walking in there are teapots with flowers and some antique mismatched tea cups. Sooo cute. Seriously Shelby, good fucking job! So much care went into every detail! When we sit down for the amuse bouche (fancy word for bite-sized appetizer) these two little cookies are waiting for me and say "eat me".


We're off to a good start!

But they are not just any boring cookie. They have herbs in them, a kind of nod to the 4/20 date and an obvious and adorable AIW reference! They were beautifully buttery and wonderfully herby!


Chapter 1- Tweedledum and Tweedledee Mushroom Staffed Ravioli and Ravioli Stuffed Mushroom

Beer: Port Jeff H3 Tripel



Food: Sorry this picture does this NO justice. That's what happens when I am WAY too excited to eat! I totally loved this concept! Ravioli stuffed mushroom, with creamy ricotta. It was sooo good and the mushroom stuffed ravioli may have been even better!

Beer: I looooove tripels, sweet and citrusy! This one by Port Jeff Brewing is a great example of this style. Pretty boozy, but goes down ever so smooth. Personally I wouldn't have paired this beer with this course but I think that beer pairings are more an art than science.

Chapter 2 The Garden of Live Flowers

Beer: Port Jeff Beach Wit


Food: I just LOVE how colorful this salad is! Look at all that!! PS- those are NOT orange tomatoes they're gooseberries! I never had the pleasure, but they were a most welcome addition. The honey lime champagne vinaigrette was really really good, BESTEST part FRIED GOAT CHEESE! OMG! I stole one more from some one's plate that never showed.

BEST IDEA FOR A SALAD EVER!

Beer: Beach Wit. This beer is very easy drinking. Not overly hoppy or malty. Not sweet or bitter just smooth. I see why they paired this with the salad. Since the goat cheese is so strong a flavor, they didn't want something that would overpower or even contribute. It's in the background and like the name suggests it's perfect to drink on the beach on a summer day!

Chapter 3- A Mad Tea Party

Beer: Port Jeff Mad Tea Schooner Ale


Food: A tea sandwich with BACON JAM and brie, apple and arugula. Basically this is EVERYTHING I love STUFFED into a sandwich! The bacon jam was amazeballs, everything I hoped and more.

Beer: Mad Tea Schooner Ale. THIS was a treat! The guys at Port Jeff made a special cask for this dinner. I mean how fucking cool is that for a beer nerd?! They took their schooner ale in a cask and added some Earl Grey Tea. It was not as tea-riffic as I thought. The tea was in the background, bit you could tell it was there.

Chapter 4- Pig + Pepper 

Beer: Port Jeff Dry Hopped Party Boat

Food: The Pork was perfectly cooked and rubbed in chili. Not as spicy as I would have thought. The smoked pepper and goji gastrique was a nice touch. I love a little sweet thrown into my savory meals!! The potatoes were a nice little side nosh and the orchid made me happy.

My favorite color!

Beer: Dry Hopped Party Boat. This may be the best IPA brewed out of long island. It is your classic IPA. Now THIS is something I would be drinking on a party boat. As for the pairing, I see that they are trying to play off some of the spicy notes here and maybe go against all the sweet in the gastrique. Not really a perfect pairing but an excellent beer and I would drink it anytime.

Chapter 5- Who Stole the Tarts?

Beer: Port Jeff Overboard Russian Imperial Stout


Food: This is one seriously fudge-packing brownie.... I mean that is the BEST way. Allll the fudginess exploded into my mouth. If that were NOT enough, it was topped with POP TART ICE CREAM! Is there such a thing?! Yes NOW there is!! The Chef at Morisson's finished REALLY strong with this one.

Plus they didn't know this, but my FAVORITE dessert is a warm brownie with ice cream. I mean the contrast of warm and cold, fudgy and creamy, Chocolate with berries. A definite FOODGASM!



Beer: Overboard Stout. This is one pairing that cannot be denied- BEST pairing of the night! This beer on it's own is just super impressive. I had to just have a sip of someone else's and couldn't finish any of my beers that night. I had to drive home. This beer is damn high in alcohol, sweet and has a rich chocolate and espresso finish.

In true NY Foodgasm tradition, I think the beer needs to be IN the brownie!


Summary

When all is said and done, even if the food wasn't the best, this dinner would be a good value for the price. All these courses and a beer to go with it!!

 But the food is of high quality and executed with great care! The chef was very creative in the concept of all these dishes. I was really impressed with the creativity of execution and how it tied in with the AIW theme.

I got to FINALLY meet the brewer and owner of Port Jeff!! We shared some good laughs and good fucking beer!



Shelby, the lovely hostess, drinking beer in the tea cup with her pinky up all classy and shit.



Everyone had a great time!

 Mostly Shelby...

It was sooooo much fun!!!
Stay tuned to what's going on at Morisson's and Jackson's... Beer Dinner and other Shannanigans are sure to come very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment