Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Thinking outside the pie: Pumpkin Bolognese




Why is this a Foodgasm? This is really a sneaky foodgasm, I mean Pumpkin Bolognase? Really? I came upon the idea after I made the Pumpkin Chili, I thought hmmm why not make a meat sauce, like a Bolognese with pumpkin instead of tomato. I like to challenge the idea that pumpkins are just for baking! Let's think outside the pie on this one. Well I made this up completely outta my head after studying some classic Bolognese recipes. When I tell you I just about fell off my chair from just how good this was- well I was just so amazed! The spicy sausage, the sweetness of the carrots and the pumpkin combined with the sweet acidity of the Sauvignon Blanc just made my taste buds explode in rapture! Yes it was almost a religious experience! AMEN!

This is a 6 point foodgasm (recipe yields 8 servings)
 


What you need
5 hot Italian sausages
4 teaspoons olive oil
3 carrots
2 onions
5 cloves garlic
 1/4 oz. fresh basil leaves
1 cup pumpkin
1 cup fat free low sodium broth
2/3 cup Sauvignon Blanc (white wine)
2 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
Pepper
Salt

How to make it
Put sausages in a pot of water and bring to a boil. Boil Sausage until almost cooked through. (Tip: Poke holes in sausage so they will not explode scalding water on you when pierced) Place sausage, carrots, garlic and onions in food processor and combine until diced into small pieces. In a large skillet on medium high heat add your olive oil. Place contents of your food processor into the skillet and saute for about 15 minutes. You want to get the meat a little brown and caramelize onions. Let those flavors out! Roughly slice up your basil leaves and add those in now as well. Then you can add in your pumpkin, wine and chicken broth as well as those spices. Can you smell the awesomeness happening here?! Oh you will! It is an amazing sweet and savory smell and you will think you are in food heaven, no you did not die you just made a foodgasm! Stir and let this masterpiece simmer for another 10 minutes.

How to serve it
Serve this amazing sauce over your favorite pasta. I served mine with a mix of whole wheat and regular fettuccine and lightly covered in Parmesan cheese. Then make sure you are not far from the floor when you eat this- as I stated above I nearly fell off my chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment