Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Pan Fried Gnocchi with a Coconut Pumpkin Sauce

Why is this a Foodgasm?

This is straight up lick the bowl amazing! Like get your nose to the bowl to lick it! This is sweet, salty, creamy and comforting. You think Pumpkin and coconut combo sounds weird...you are very mistaken. Then you take some coconut and pumpkin then add some brown sugar and you just went over the edge of foodgasm ecstasy!

I recently saw pan fried gnocchi on pinterest and I knew I had to try it....with brown butter! I have also seen pumpkin coconut soups so I thought, why not develop a sauce the same way with just a little brown sugar to bring out the sweetness and the butteriness of the pan fried gnocchi. Then to take it to the next level I topped with toasted pistachios, coconut and chickpeas. So I made it and my husband ate it and almost cried out in foodgasm!



What you need

1 tablespoon salted butter
2 cups gnocchi

For the sauce

1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon light spread
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 1/2 cup light coconut milk
1 tablespoon brown sugar
salt to taste

Garnish

Toasted pistachios
Toasted coconut
Toasted chickpeas

How to make it

1- In a medium non stick frying pan on medium heat, add the 1 tablespoon butter
2- Let the butter caramelize, you will notice in about 5 minutes the butter will become a darker color.
3- Place gnocchi in the brown butter, stir well to get the butter on every piece.
4- Let the gnocchi become a light brown on both sides.
5- Set aside gnocchi.
6- Add 1 tablespoon of butter and light spread to pan and let it melt down.
7- Stir in your pumpkin puree and coconut milk. Combine them well.
8- Sprinkle in the brown sugar and let sauce simmer for about 5 minutes on medium.
9- Add some salt to taste.
 

How to serve

I served in a bowl with sauce on the bottom surrounded with toasted coconut and covered in a small amount of toasted pistachios and chickpeas.

Nutritional Information





2 comments:

  1. I LOVE it! I have some pumpkin left over, that I have to use, and I am sooooooooo thinking this recipe! It's fend for yourself night tonight, so I can make whatever I want!! This looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You MUST try this....it was sooooo easy and pretty good for you! Next time I am gonna use less butter and use light buttery spread instead. I don't know if you feel it, but I find it is tough to walk the line between what is less processed and what is lowfat. I find it challenging. Never quite sure to add the fat or add the weird man made stuff, LOL!

      Delete