Thursday, August 15, 2013

Totally Roasted Marinara

Why is this a Foodgasm?

Sometimes you have to go back to the basics and back to your roots. I was really feeling my Italian roots and I know my favorite chef Fabio Viviani would approve of this one! This recipe is a different way to get that slow cooked marinara flavor with less stove babysitting. What's an easier way to make a magically foodgasmic marinara than to throw a bunch of ingredients in the oven for about 40 minutes and throwing it all into a food processor? Then it's done! Simple! Not to mention slow roasting anything brings out the sugars and then the yum!

I saw a similar idea on some other blogs and I decided to try it myself and I am soooo glad I did! This was time consuming in the roasting but the prep is minimal. I roasted all the classic ingredients for a marinara, but used cherry tomatoes for a little extra sweet punch. To add to the ease of this recipe I lined my baking pans with non stick aluminum foil for easy clean up! My husband appreciated this since he usually does the dishes!

This is also incredibly healthy and local! I used cherry tomatoes from my own co-op garden with my neighbors and from the farmer's market. Using very little EVOO this recipe is very low in fat, but VERY high in flavor.

What you need

3-4 cups whole cherry tomatoes
2 large tomatoes or more cherry if you prefer
2 inch spring of fresh oregano
7 basil leaves
3 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
1/2 teaspoon of salt
OPTIONAL
1 jalepeno pepper
(I made mine spicy, Arrabiata!)




How to Make it

1- Preheat oven to 415 degrees
2- Line baking sheets with nonstick aluminum foil

3- Place all ingredients on lined baking sheet


4- Bake for about 40 minutes or until tomatoes are a little charred or brown on the outside.
5- Run all of this through the food processor, add more salt or pepper if needed.

Nutritional Facts







No comments:

Post a Comment