Friday, February 8, 2013

Morning Wood: Cheesy Grits, Southern Comfort done Light and Right!

Why is this a Foodgasm?

Just look at that picture, every time I look at it I wanna eat more of this! Grits baby! Southern comfort food in the morning...sooo good well if I were a dude I may have to hide my crotchal region! I go to this great breakfast place by my house where I had this for the first time and I thought this is gotta be so easy to make and I can lighten this bad boy up so I can indulge with all the flavor and half the fat! So my friends, my fellow foodies- I did it for me and for YOU!

What you need

2 packets instant grits (you can use non instant, I just like that they are pre-portioned)
1 1/2 cup 2% low fat milk
2 teaspoons salted butter
1/3 cup lowfat shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

How to make it

1- In a small saucepan pour in your grits.
2- Stir ink the milk and turn the heat to medium.
3- Once it starts to heat up and your grits start to thicken add the butter.
4- Stir until grits plump and thicken.
5- Remove from heat and add in your shredded cheese as well as salt and pepper to your liking.

 

Nutritional Info

This is for the Grits only:






 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This is for the whole she-bang! (Grits with Egg Whites, 2 slices of bacon and fire roasted onions and peppers)


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

How to Serve

Served with 2 Strips of Bacon, 2 egg whites
and fire roasted onions and peppers
Served with 2 Strips and Bacon and
2 Egg Whites


















I made this 2 ways one with bacon and egg whites and another version with fire roasted onions and peppers (frozen from Trader Joe's). But you can even serve this with dinner. It would be excellent with blackened chicken or shrimp.

No comments:

Post a Comment