Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Spiked Foodgasm: Pumpkin Spice Ale Muffins with a Spiced Glaze

Why is this a Foodgasm? 

It's fall and you all know how I am super stoked about pumpkin.... well now you can take that up 10 notches because I found a way to combine my love of pumpkin ale with my pumpkin baking!! I knew I had to create a recipe for pumpkin muffins, but then I remembered my Bluepoint Blueberry Muffins and I knew this needed some local craft pumpkin spice ale. But this time I added a little fat just to make them softer. I really like how the flavors are balanced well- I even used some lemon zest to brighten up the flavors so the spice didn't get lost, thanks to a tip from my friend Jenni at Pastry Chef Online. As if the muffins were not amazing enough already, I knew I wanted to just add another touch, so I created a simple glaze to drizzle over the top! Don't you just wanna lick your screen right now?

Here is how I lightened this- I used only an eighth cup of canola oil, nonfat Greek yogurt and pumpkin purée in place if some of the missing fat. The Greek yogurt and pumpkin keep these muffins nice and moist! With all the flavor and the texture you will NEVER know this was low fat!

For this recipe I used Southampton Pumpkin Ale.This craft beer, local to long island, has a nice balance of pumpkin and spice flavor while still retaining a nice hoppi-ness!


 

What you need

Muffins
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
2/3 cup pumpkin ale
2 egg whites
1/4 cup non fat Greek yogurt
1/8 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
zest of 1 lemon

Glaze
1 cup confectioners sugar
2-3 tablespoons milk, or as much as it takes to get desired consistency
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

How to make it

Preheat oven to 350º
1- In your mixer, combined all your dry ingredients: 2 cups whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup white sugar, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda and 1 teaspoon salt on low.
2- Then slowly add your wet ingredients in: 2 egg whites, 1/4 cup non fat Greek yogurt, 1/8 cup canola oil and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
3- Lastly add in 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice and the zest of 1 lemon.
4- Bake 18-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.


For the glaze
Whisk together 1 cup confectioners sugar, 2-3 tablespoons milk (or as much as it takes to get desired consistency) and 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice.

Nutritional Information

This makes an even dozen muffins, stats include the glaze. 
Each muffin is 6 Weight Watchers Points Plus






No comments:

Post a Comment