Friday, October 18, 2013

Giving Thanks for Thanksgiving


Autumn is here, we're already mid-October and thanksgiving is around the corner. Usually during the holiday we 're so consumed with the preparations and the food that we can forget the very words that make the days Thanks and Giving. The very essence of this holiday is about Giving Thanks. Giving thanks for what we have: the roof over our heads, the food we eat, the clothes on our back and the wonderful people we have in our lives. I was asked to be a part of Cooking Planits "Giving Thanks for Thanksgiving" giveaway and I immediately accepted. This contest celebrates the biggest giver you know. Write a story about them and both the nominee and you can win prizes! This is a beautiful way to give back to these people!  I think it is really important to remember not only what we are thankful for, but who we are thankful for!

Before I tell you about the giveaway- I want to tell you about my own special story of giving thanks!

In 2007 I was unemployed and very, very depressed. I felt like I had nothing and I would never find a job. It felt hopeless. In a capitalistic society, like ours, if you don't have money you cannot exist and you feel insignificant. I gained MORE weight, I cried most days and I couldn't afford to do anything except pay bills. But I realized that my wealth was with my friends. The lives that I can touch, the people that will remember me. The people that listened to my problems and held me when I cried. That year, with what little money I had, I started a tradition called Friendsgiving. I invited those friends you can count on one hand: the ones you rely on and the you're not scared to cry in front of. I invited them over for dinner the Friday after Thanksgiving to celebrate them, to show just how much I appreciate them! That was my way of giving back in the best way I knew how. (More about Friendsgiving here.)

How to Enter

This contest is very simple. All you have to do is go to Cooking Planit's Blog or Facebook Page to nominate someone that you are thankful for. Someone that always puts others needs before their own. This is your way to give back to them, to let them feel appreciated like I did for my friends! Both the hero and the writer win a prize!! So what do you have to lose?! Nominate and win.

Guidelines for submissions

When writing your story, consider the following guidelines:
  • •In 300 words or less, recognize an individual who is making the difference in the lives of others in your community; whether it be by donating their time, energy or love with a focus on helping others without necessarily thinking of themselves.
  • •Provide details on how/what they are doing to improve or impact the lives of others.

We reserve the right not to post your story if it contains any of the following types of content:
  • Obscenities, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
  • Advertisements, “spam” content, or references to other products, offers, or websites
  • Email addresses, URLs, phone numbers, physical addresses, or other forms of contact information
  • Critical or spiteful comments on other stories posted on the page or their authors
In addition, if you wish to share feedback with us about Cooking Planit or other customer service issues, do not submit this feedback through the Cooking Planit Stories platform. Instead, contact us directly.

Enjoy writing your story!

Prizes

5 runners up receive a $100 Visa Gift card for the story author & $250 to their Hidden Hero (story subject)

The 1st place winner will also get the opportunity to select a local charity to which Cooking Planit will donate $1000.

I hope you all take part and nominate someone you really believe deserves this. People that give are often overlooked and this is a lovely way to make them know just how very special they are. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment