Wednesday, January 15, 2014

#HolidayDetox Part Three: Dinners that satisfy


Part 3 of the #HolidayDetox series explores dinner

Dinner has got to be my favorite meal of all! When I was on WW, I saved liked half my daily point for dinner. I like a big satisfying meal. One that will satisfy my belly, my heart and my cravings. Dinner for me is a comfort and many times is my time for comfort food. But I gotta find a way to trim the calories of these meals that are usually loaded with fat. If dinner is your jam too you are gonna want to read this!

Not only do I have 1 dinner recipe on this post, well I have 2 awesomely easy kick-ass dinners that you can make in your crock pot! SCORE! Sooooo easy! And of course my girl Jennifer from Peanut Butter and Peppers is back with her killer dinner recipes! Check them out after my recipes.

Aside from just the food, here at tips to make your dinner more enjoyable and will also help you eat less! It took me a looooong time to learn this on my own during my weight loss journey, but I have shared them all with you and I assure you if you try some of these tips you will not only enjoy your meal more, but actually eat less.



Chicken pot pie stew with gnocchi


Why is this a Foodgasm?
Ultimate comfort right here. Chicken pot pie! I have kept all that you live about pot pie and made it lowfat and easy! So usually chicken pot pie is literally a pie with a crust. I simplified this a bit, while there is so crust, to satisfy that carb craving I added gnocchi, they act like a dumpling in the stew but they're even better. This pot pie has a great creamy texture and it is full of veggies and chicken and a trio of wonderful herbs. Thyme, Rosemary and Sage come together to beautifully season  this and give it that classic French touch. I would say this will keep you fuller longer than a small piece of chicken pot pie.


What you need

3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour
1 32 oz. box of fat free low sodium chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon Rosemary
1/2 teaspoon Sage
1/2 teaspoon Thyme
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 small sweet potatoes, cubed
8 celery stalks, sliced
2 cups baby carrots, sliced
1 large onion, diced
1.4 oz. Chicken Breast, cubed
13 oz. Frozen Gnocchi





How to make it

1- In a large frying pan add 3 tablespoons butter let it melt on medium heat.
2- Add 1/4 cup flour and combine with melted butter.
3- Gradually stir in the 32 oz. box of fat free low sodium chicken broth.
4- Keep stirring on medium heat until it thickens.
5- Add in 1/2 teaspoon Rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon Sage, 1/2 teaspoon Thyme, Salt and Pepper to taste.
6- Put 2 small sweet potatoes, cubed; 8 celery stalks, sliced; 2 cups baby carrots, sliced; 1 large onion, diced; 1.4 oz. Chicken Breast, cubed; 13 oz. Frozen Gnocchi in the crockpot and add sauce to it and mix together.
7- Cook on low for 5 hours.

Nutritional Information 









 

 

 

Chicken Cacciatore

Why is this a Foodgasm?

Does anyone do comfort food quite like the Italians? I recently ordered Chicken Cacciatore from a take out place near my in-laws house for dinner. On paper it sounded simple enough, chicken slow simmered in a white wine and marinara sauce. I want expecting much, but I wanted a lighter option compared to the cheesy, fatty, carb heavy meals usually availible on Italian take out menus. To my surprise it was soooo delicious! I did not at all feel like I missed out by ordering this lighter dish. Sooo I needed I make my own version and make it even healthier and also make it easy to prepare! So crock pot meet cacciatore, your new best friend!

What you need

1.5 pounds chicken breast, filleted 
1 yellow pepper, cut into strips 
1 red pepper, cut into strips 
1 orange pepper, cut into strips
1 red onion, sliced thin
5 baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
1 jar marinara if your choice 
1/2 cup white wine
1 tablespoon olive oil


How to make it

1- Put a base of veggies down place chicken over the top, rest of the veggies, then top with the sauce, white wine and olive oil
2- Cook on high for 4 hours
3- Serve over pasta

Nutritional Information


















 

Jennifer's Gorgeous Dinner Recipes

 


No comments:

Post a Comment