Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Perfect for your Valentine: Irish Cake Bombs

Why is this a Foodgasm?

What happens when an Irish Car Bomb becomes a cupcake? What's more, it happens to be amazingly decedent and low fat? A new Foodgasm has been born! This is it: sinfully smooth red velvet cake with Guinness undertones topped with Irish Cream frosting. Perfect for any boyfriend, husband or gourmet cupcake lover, this little guy is sure to please! This is quick and easy to make and you can really taste the Guinness and Irish Cream Flavors! Why not combine my love for a good beer with my food!

So as you can tell I have been slightly obsessed with cooking with beer lately, namely Guinness. I made Guinness Beef Stew, then I even made some low fat kielbasa with beer and kraut. I have been experimenting and browsing blogs for some ahhhhmazing beer ideas. Even came across Guinness Brownies on Hall Nesting! The possibilities are endless! Who knows what will come next...any ideas on more food beer combos? What would you like to see from me?





 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

What you need

Cupcake Ingredients

1 box Red Velvet cake mix
1 can Guinness (the can is best, it has some nitrogen to give it a creamy texture)
3 egg whites
24 cupcake wrappers

Frosting

3 tablespoons butter (room temperature)
3 tablespoons light butter spread (I used smart balance)
3 1/4 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons Irish Cream (I used Molly's, it's cheaper and just as good)












 

 

How to make it

1- Preheat oven to 350ยบ
2- In a mixer on medium-low speed add in your cake mix and add Guinness in slowly
3- Pour in the egg whites and let that stir at medium-high speed for about 5 minutes.
4- Pour the batter into your cupcake tins (2) lined with cupcake wrappers.
5- Bake for 20 minutes
6- While that is baking rinse out your mixing bowl. Add in your butter and buttery spread and mix on medium until a creamy texture.
7- Move the mixing speed to low and slowly add the powdered sugar.
8- Add milk and Irish Cream and combine on medium high.


 

How to Serve

I cut the corner off a ziplock bag and piped on the frosting. I even added some black and gold sugar to the top to match the Guinness. A small tip...when piping on the frosting make sure to no allow any air bubbles to get to the bottom. Think of it like flattening out a tube of toothpaste. I learned....the hard way! LOL!

 

Nutritional Facts



4 comments:

  1. Ummmm, yum!!!!!!!!!!!! What a great recipe! I am sooooo wanting one of your cupcakes right now!!! They are so pretty and perfect for V-day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Peanut Butter and Peppers! What is your name, by the way? I am soooo super excited I really love the way these photos came out, they really did them justice and they are soooo easy to make! Much blogging love to you!

      Delete
  2. Those look great! We need to designate a whole week to Guinness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren that is a FAB idea! We should join forces on a beer month! Where we make tons of beer related recipes! I am so game! Maybe we can get Peanut Butter and Peppers in on this action! Maybe April can be beer month!

      Delete