Monday, April 8, 2013

Dark Chocolate Stout Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Frosting

 

Why is this a Foodgasm?

You got some dark chocolate cupcakes, but wait....is that Guinness, oh my! Then I topped it with caramel frosting, woah....but then I took it up another notch, just one more. I added sea salt! That is like bam, Bam, BAM! Yes I found a way to bring you dark chocolate, stout AND salted caramel! YES! Then I reduced the fat AND made it easy to make!!

Your welcome!

I came up with this idea at the supermarket, while getting the supplies I needed. I have had dark chocolate with salted caramel truffles, then I thought why not make this as a cupcake?! Not too weird or crazy! Plus I know I can do it with a cake mix- EASY too score!





What you need

For the cupcakes

1 box dark chocolate cake mix
1 can Guinness
1 egg

For the Frosting

6 tablespoons Smart Balance Butter Blend, room temperature.
3 1/4 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
4 tablespoons caramel (the liquid kind you put on ice cream)
Sea Salt to sprinkle on top

How to make it

1- Preheat oven to 350ยบ
2- In a mixer add the cake mix and slowly add Guinness while mixing on low setting.
3- Put mixer on medium and add egg whites until well combined.
4- Place cupcake wrapper in tray and pour in cake mix into 2 cupcake trays.
5- Bake about 20 minutes, just check with toothpick every oven is different.

To make icing

1- Using whisk attachment, beat butter blend on low and slowly add powdered sugar.
2- Beat in medium and add milk and caramel.
3- Mix well.
4- Ice your cupcakes after they have cooled to room temperature. I use a pastry bag or a ziplock with the corner chopped off. Sprinkle with sea salt
5- Sprinkle with sea salt

Nutritional Information





8 comments:

  1. Is that black sea salt on top? Great flavor combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Camille! That is black sugar, I used pink himalayan sea salt, though black would have been AWESOME!

      Delete
  2. Wow!!! Wow!!! Wow!!!!!! These cupcakes look AMAZING! I am so wanting to make these!!! Bookmarking this recipe! I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAYYYYYYY! Soooooo thrilled you like them, feel free to pin to pinterest! I LOVE pinterest! If you make them, do tell me how you like them!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Me tooooooooo Laren! Yum! I had salted chocolate chip cookies, they were YUM!

      Delete
  4. I love these kinds of unique recipes! We are practically neighbors! Can you drop some of these off at my house? =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I will someday! HEHE! Thanks and it is SUPER cool to meet another foodie so local to me! I actually grew up in Selden! I got there to visit my parents all the time!

      Delete