Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Bangers and Mash- Featuring Long Ireland Celtic Ale



So this past weekend I was Jamming out to a Celtic Rock Concert- the first official party of St. Patty's Day. I am not Irish in any way, but I love beer. (You guys know this, I know). Anyways the name of the band was Bangers and Mash and the featured Beers were from Long Ireland Brewing Company. That concert basically designed mu St. Partrick's Day post for all of you!

The band was awesome (I love me some Celtic rock) and so was the beer. I've had Long Ireland's Breakfast Stout before but they make a great Celtic ale and that trumps the stout for me. I LOVE it. Nothing fancy, just a great Irish Red Ale, but done really well. Way better than Killian's Irish Red. So I researched some classic Bangers and Mash Recipe and I think this is a great twist on it.

Super easy and super delicious. I threw in plenty of onions so you could justify it by saying you had one serving of vegetables.  After the onions caramelized I threw in some Celtic Ale and that is when the magic happens. Add just a little vinegar and let it reduce and you got yourself a kick-ass St. Patty's Day meal. Bonus points for pairing it with a pint of Long Ireland Celtic Ale!

Why is this a Foodgasm?

Mashed potatoes are the ultimate comfort food and add some great sausages atop that with a beer and onion gravy- well you just hit the jackpot at the end of the rainbow. I reduced the fat in the mashed potatoes with a little light butter and some nonfat Greek yogurt and lowfat milk. You will not be able to tell the difference. Remember reduced fat is always better than fat free. As for the bangers, I can't help you there, not making my own sausage. But I used Trader Joe's Bangers you should be able to find them in store right now! So this is not the lowest of fat dinners, so eat with caution and try and control yourself even though this is seriously delicious! 

Who wouldn't wanna be Irish for this dish?! Erin go Foodgasm!




What you need

Mash
2 pounds potatoes, cut into pieces
2 tablespoons light butter
2/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1/3 cup lowfat milk
Salt and Pepper to taste

Bangers
Olive Oil for stir frying (about 2 tablespoons)
6 Irish Bangers (I used Trader Joe's brand)
2 large onions, halved and sliced (I used 1 red and 1 sweet)
3/4 cup Long Ireland Celtic Ale (if you cannot find it, any Irish Red Ale should be fine)
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

How to make it

1- In a large pot place in cut potatoes, water and salt (salting the water will make the potatoes taste much better), place on high and let it boil until potatoes are tender.
2- When potatoes are nice and tender, drain water and mash. If you have a masher, go for it. If you dont, I just use the back of a slotted spoon.
3- Add in the light butter, greek yogurt and milk, a little more salt and some pepper to taste. mash some more
4- In a large non stick frying pan on medium-high heat, cook bangers on all sides until they are browned (cut three small tears into sausage to release any pent up juices). Set aside
5- Place onion in the same frying pan you were using, cook until caramelized, just a little browned, then add the beer. Reduce down and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
6- Add the cider vinegar.
7- Serve bangers and onions atop some potatoes as pictures. ENJOY!

Nutritional Information


Each serving is 1 sausage and 1/6 of mashed potatoes made. If you serve with one more sausage, refer to package for calories and fat added.






No comments:

Post a Comment