Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Mexican Breakfast Skillet: A little late for Cinco de Mayo


A Cinco de Mayo recipe- late, but better than never....

Last week I told you about my trip to California, well this recipe was born from that trip. This is always what I hope for from a trip like this... inspiration and exposure to new flavors and foods that I never imagined. Foodie Adventures, as I like to call them, are like food blogger recon! So obviously there is a lot of Mexican influence in California, so close and all. Anyways at one of our brunch stops in Joshua Tree I ordered a breakfast polenta and it was like a cake cut into slices, I deduced that it must have been made in a skillet- Inspiration strike 1, then I got my breakfast and there was also black beans in a ranchero sauce, kinda like enchilada sauce as well as eggs and some pico de gallo. Tah-dah- a nice balanced meal- carbs, protein and fiber! Plus it was so damn satisfying and filling. So I had inspiration strike number 2- what if I put all of this together in one skillet! YES!

Why is this a Foodgasm?

This is a completely balanced breakfast, I even added MORE veggies! Super flavorful, just a little heat (not too much it is morning after all). Eggs, spiced polenta, veggies and beans with sauce kinda dance the salsa in yo mouth! Better yet- once skillet to wash! Even better it looks so impressive, but it's so easy!





What you need

1 1/2 cup uncooked polenta
4 cups vegetable stock
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
1/2 cup enchilada sauce
1 can black beans
1 cup fresh spinach
1/4 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half lengthwise
3 eggs
Serve with cillantro, queso fesco and green onions for garnish and flavor, I also liked to top with a bit of Greek yogurt.


How to make it

1- Preheat oven to 350ยบ
2- In your skillet add your polenta and vegetable stock, simmer on medium and then down to low.
3- Once it has thickened (about 15-20 minutes), add spices and mix black beans and enchilada sauce in a separate bowl.
4- Add bean mixture over top as well as the spinach and then arrange tomatoes in a pleasingly pretty pattern.
5- Crack eggs over top, bake 15- 18 minutes depending on how you like your yolks cooked, for runny 15 minutes, for firm yolks about 18 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment