Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Piña Colada Bread Pudding


An accidental Foodgasm for Mother's Day. Why? Well this happened the day before...


Remember how I said during #beermonth that I collaborated on a beer with The Brewers Collective. Well it made it's debut at Bay Fest, a beer festival at Great South Bay Brewery celebrating Long Island Craft Beer. My Thai Style Witbier #SexDragon (awesome name right?) was a hit and it was the very first keg to kick at the festival! This was the day before Mother's Day. 8 hours of beer and celebration does not bide well for this girl that had a Mother's Day breakfast planned for 9 am the next day.

(I also tried that eating bread yeast trick that supposedly lessens the effects of the alcohol... it lead to a whole lot of intestinal discomfort, don't try it)

Recipe for disaster right? So I planned to make this recipe from How Sweet It Is. Well I didn't read the directions and realize that it had to be all mixed together from the night before. Shit! What do I do. I fuckin Mac Guyver breakfast. Totally improvised and sorta was inspired by this but ummm totally changed it out of necessity. I had little time and I couldn't let the bread soak in the liquid mixture, also me being me, I can't leave a recipe alone. Nope I can't just follow it, well sometimes I can if I have no idea how it works, but this was french toast not macarons (which are the food equivalent to rocket science). So here I go winging the shit outta breakfast.


I use challah **holla for some challah** because it's the bestest bread EVER! Then I had some pineapple, knowing how my mama loves her some Pina Coladas I also decided to coconut this bitch up. Coconut milk, coconut flakes, coconut oil and caramelized pineapple chunks... you excited yet? While this bad boy ain't so good for the hips, I tried to dial back on the saturated fat. No cream, no butter... I used half and half as well as some coconut oil to just reduce the guilt a tinge. Why the hell not, right?!

I mean it is Mother's Day after all, these ladies screamed and squeezed our giant heads outtta their... well okay that is enough!! Let's get down to business.


What you need

1 loaf challah bread, sliced and cubed
1 cup pineapple chunks
1/3 cup coconut flakes
1/3 cup coconut oil
6 large eggs
 2 cups lowfat coconut milk
1 cup half and half
1/3 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract

 

How to make it

1- Preheat oven to 350º
2- Divide chunks of challah bread between two round nonstick cake pans
3- Heat coconut oil in microwave just about 30 seconds to make coconut oil into liquid.
4- Pour over the top of both cake pans with challah chunks.
5- In a medium frying pan, caramelize pineapple chunks with just a little coconut oil.
6- Divide and mix pineapple chunks into both pans.
7- in a large bowl whisk together the half and half, coconut milk, eggs, coconut sugar, brown sugar and vanilla bean paste.
8- Pour half of this mixture into both cake pans, mix into bread cubes making sure they are all saturated.
9- Spread coconut flakes onto the top of both pans and bake for 25- 30 minutes or until coconut on top is lightly toasted.

Enjoy! This recipe is deliciously kick ass and super easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment